Monday, May 4, 2015

Alumni Spotlight-- Cameron Ward

This is the second in a recurring series of posts about TTU Fire alumni and their current positions.

Cameron Ward graduated from Texas Tech's Department of Natural Resources in December 2013.  Since graduation, he has been a seasonal employee with the USDA Forest Service.  
Below he discusses his current position.


I am a seasonal biological technician working for the USDA Forest Service. I have worked for the Umpqua National Forest in Oregon and now work for the Cimarron National Grassland in Kansas. In Oregon I worked on noxious weed control to helped restore habitat after logging operations are done. I also surveys on prey of the spotted owl and I helped with the fire crew sometimes on the weekend. Now I’m doing Lesser Prairie Chicken surveys and assessing habitat quality for them on the grassland.

My time with the Forest Service has been great-- I’ve been able to meet new people and learn many new skills. It’s amazing being able to work in these beautiful places and see new things.


His advice for future new graduates:

"To get a job like this I’d recommend being persistent on applying and being patient. My advice on the job is to seize all opportunities for experience. Most of the people have been in your shoes and want to help you get more experience."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.