Thursday, November 21, 2013

November Lab Update

Every month I seem to write a blog post lamenting how fast time is moving.  This month will be no exception.  November is rapidly flying by!  It is hard to believe that finals will be over in less than three weeks, and the holiday break and associated travel will commence.

Since my last post, exciting things have been happening in the Verble Fire Ecology Lab!

Dr. Brad Dabbert and I recently received notice that their proposal, Quail habitat improvements on private lands in the Rolling Plains of Texas, was funded by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.  This grant applies and evaluates habitat treatments across several ranches in the Texas Pandhandle and surrounding region.  Work is slated to kick off in January!  This project will also fund a doctoral student (see recruiting poster, last post).  Needless to say, I am thrilled.

Anna Meyer (MS student), and Victoria Young (Undergraduate Research Fellow) and I attended the Entomological Society of American meeting in Austin, Texas last week.  This is one of my favorite meetings of the year.  I love catching up with old friends and colleagues, making new friends, and hearing about all the exciting research that is being conducted in the field of entomology.  At the meeting, Victoria presented a poster on heat tolerance in ants, a project to which she has contributed a significant amount of data.  Several colleagues and I also lived tweeted the meeting, so you can catch the play-by-plays on Twitter at #EntSoc13.


Tomorrow, I am presenting a seminar to the Association of Natural Resources Scientists at Texas Tech, as part of their Brown Bag Seminar series, and Nick Goforth is defending his research proposal.  Next week, I'll be visiting Yoakum Dunes, one of the few nature preserves in the Texas Panhandle and learning about the research needs of the site.

Finally, Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and I am finishing up my menu, which will include deep fried turkey and oyster dressing.  Suggestions are welcome!  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.